The North / South divide

04:02


I find myself always wanting to write a blog when I am at my family home. I don't know if it's the fact that I feel like I have more time or its a step back from the norm, time to reflect and what not. 

I haven't wrote a blog since March and I wasn't quite sure what to write about. 

Has a lot happened? Not really, working over the summer has sucked up most of my time like nunu on redbull (teletubbies reference). A weeks holiday in Turkey was a bliss romantic flit, I wish I could of stayed. May do a blog on that later. 

Things going on in the world? Yes; War, death, natural disasters, political scandals, Brain washing adverts. However my knowledge on these subjects are not nearly enough to warrant a full blog post without backlash. 

The best idea that I can think of would be about this past year and the big changes I have encountered. I moved from my home in Washington just outside of Newcastle where I have lived all my life to Study at University 'Christ Church Canterbury' in Kent, The other side of England, six hours by car and 4 by train. 

The north and south divide is never something I really thought about before I moved. Living in the north east it was as if everything that came out or that happened in London took a while to get to us and if a big artist was doing a 'UK tour' you could bet your ass that they would get to Manchester and decide that was far enough north. It's always cold but that doesn't really bother us but for me that was normal. Growing up it was a hindrance to your popularity if you were smart and actually went to class, although that might have just been my school. 

A few of the most instantly noticeable things were that people are right, the South IS where things happen! You can get everywhere by a high speed train, TV is more relatable and you have a lot more freedom to express yourself in fashion and such, without the usual 'ugh nice hat ha ha' or something like that shouted by boys in their (one of twenty) tracksuit bottoms. People are generally more open minded down south, in my opinion (don't hate) unless you have a strong regional dialect and therefore are asked to repeat yourself a fair few times before they get what your saying. 

Living away from home has been a big step for me, I am an only child and I have a very close relationship with my parents. Looking after myself was a brilliant thing, doing what I want when I want, I know that I took advantage of this in my first months by gaining a little bit of weight but I quickly sorted out my diet and time etc. I also swore to myself and mother that I would focus on my work and not get distracted by boys, I met my boyfriend the second week there and we will have been together a year in November so what worked... 

I fell in love with Canterbury the second I stepped off the train on my open day, it is a beautiful place and I am so happy to be studying there. My course is called 'PR, Marketing and Media' which is extremely vague and after a year of study, I'm not one hundred percent on what PR exactly is but by the look of it no one else does either. 

With this type of course the south is the best to study and work, most major companies are situated in London or thereabouts and there just is not the same opportunities in the north. 

Most girls in my year from school are either with child or toddler, stuck in a dead end job or 'dossing about' as some call it. Very few have gone to Uni and even fewer and moved away to study. I seem to come from a place where everyone hates it but no one ever leaves and where everyone knows everyone else and their business. which is not as nice as it sounds, believe me. 

In short, but not so short, moving down to the south was the best decision of my life, although I feel like I now have two places I call home. I have met some of the most amazing friends, fell in love, learned about myself and grew up an awful lot. 


Until next time  x 

You Might Also Like

0 comments